Good evening, blog readers! I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get to this post. Things are always busy in the Champagne house. But here I am, ready to write for you!
This blog is about the pineapple upside down cake that we had for dessert for our Thanksgiving dinner. Let me tell you something… it was delicious! Very, very sweet… but delicious.
This is the recipe I followed: (I doubled the recipe)
– 4 eggs
– 1 1/3 cups white sugar
– 8 tbsp pineapple juice
– 1 1/3 cups flour
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1 1/3 cups brown sugar (packed)
– 1-2 cans pineapple rings (we only needed 1)
*Note: I left the maraschino cherries out of the recipe because we as a family do not like them. Also, in the photos below, I had already mixed the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter/spray muffin tins (or in my case, my oft-used bunt cake pan).
2. In a mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar, pineapple juice and beat for 2 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. (I just mixed them, I didn’t sift them. It still turned out well.)
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix for two minutes.
5. In a sauce pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Stir on low for one minute.
6. Pour layer of warm brown sugar mixture into bottom of cake pan/muffin tins.
7. Place pineapple rings on top.
8. Pour cake mixture over pineapple rings (until pan 3/4 of way full).
9. Bake! We baked ours originally for 25 minutes, but when I went to check it, it was still watery. I kept it in the oven for another 20 minutes. After that, I kept checking with the toothpick test until it was done. I’m not certain how long it was, precisely.
10. Remove from oven. Let it cool for “3 minutes”. Run a knife around the edge. The recipe says to place a wire rack on top and flip the whole thing over, but I wanted to preserve the topping juices so I turned it over onto a plate.
I’ve got to say that I was very impressed with my work here. It looked beautiful!
11. Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Thank you all for reading!